Monday, August 2, 2010

Great Orange Foods

I recently bought bags of organic frozen sweet potatoes, carrots and peaches, among other things. I was just going to cook each of these and cut into pieces for Hudson to eat with his hands. But then I had another idea... mixing them together into a sweet, healthy power food!

Sweet potatoes are a power food. Full of great vitamins and antioxidants. Hudson loves them too, so those are an awesome food for us.

Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A and Carotenoids, which is said to be helpful in preventing heart disease.

Peaches, just like the other orange foods, are high in vitamin A and are also a great source of potassium.

I put about 1/2 cup of each, still frozen, into a small casserole dish, topped with 3 tablespoons of Earth's Best baby cinnamon apple sauce and another 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Then I added about a teaspoon of water, covered and baked on 350 for about 40 minutes.

When I took of the lid it smelled SO good. I let it cool a bit and then did a rough puree in the food processor (didn't make it perfectly smooth). I tasted it and it was very good, but I thought I could do even better. So I added about 1/2 cup of plain, whole milk yogurt into it and pulsed it in the food processor until it was mixed through.

I served this to Hudson with some graham crackers and he totally loved it. I put some of the graham cracker crumbs into the mix when I saw how much he seemed to be enjoying the puree and the cracker pieces. I also froze a bunch for later.

I didn't take pictures as I was making it, but here's the finished product, frozen and ready to store.

No comments:

Post a Comment