Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer Harvest

I recently went to the local farmer's market and picked up some: Broccoli, carrots and zucchini. I made these into some food for Hudson, of course. He's over 10 months now and likes to use his own two hands to eat. But sometimes he forgets that he also needs to chew, so food still needs to be soft or cut very small.

The carrots I sliced and then boiled, it seemed like for quite a while actually, until they felt soft enough to eat easily but not so mushy that they wouldn't keep together. He eats these with his hands. These he usually likes, but occasionally pushes them away in favor of something else on his food tray.



The zucchini I peeled, seeded and boiled too, and then tossed in a bit of Parmesan cheese when done. This I cooked much less time as it's already fairly soft. He isn't a fan of this after a few feedings. Taking a couple weeks off and we'll try again.



The broccoli I made in the microwave. I've read several articles that say that's the best way to make broccoli because it doesn't dilute any of the great vitamins in it. I found a few caterpillars in it when I was washing it - so be SURE to really wash this veggie well if you're buying organic. Then I just broke it into small chunks and took off most of the thick stems. I put a couple tablespoons of water in the dish and microwaved on high for 3 minutes, stirred and did another 3. Then I food processed it with some cheddar cheese and added some additional water as I pureed it. The first tasting of this didn't go well, but after the second time he ate it easily.



It's nice to be able to make him foods that he likes and that I know what they contain. Being organic from the farmer's market lets me know that they aren't covered in poisons. And making them into food I know they don't have added salt, sugar, flavor, color, or preservatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment